- 4 small zucchini or mixed yellow and green summer squash (1 pound total
- 1/3 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pine nuts
- Grana Padano, Parmesan, or Asagio cheese, for shavings
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Heat a small skillet on medium high heat. Add the pine nuts. Stir gently as the pine nuts start to brown. When slightly browned, remove from heat and let cool.
Using a mandoline or other slicer, slice the squash. Set aside in a bowl.
Stack the mint leaves, roll them together lengthwise and slice crosswise to make very thin slivers. Add to the squash in the bowl.
Combine the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk together. Whisk in the salt and pepper and pour the dressing over the squash.
Add the pine nuts and toss together, gently, but thoroughly. Let mixture stand for at least 10 minutes to soften the squash and let the flavors develop.
Transfer salad to serving dish or to four individual salad plates. Garnish with shavings of cheese made with a vegetable peeler and a few sprigs of fresh mint.
From Simply Recipes